October 12, 2011

Trying on Hats

Prompt from Poetic Asides: disguises

Flaunting my way through
the hat store, I find one
that seems to fit well-
price is right, style and shade
flatter my shape, match my eyes-
and so pulling out plastic
I trade numbers for fabric,
march out the door with
head held high under
wide brim and leather.

Then rain drops,
mud splatters-
though disguised
still recognized-
new hat doomed
from first fitting.

So back to the hat store I go,
sift through berets and fedoras,
pom-poms and feathers, seeking
something outside my ordinary,
a fairy tale to dream under-
some distant world where I can be
superhero, adventuress, conqueror-
anything to replace that boring old
piece of cloth on my closet shelf,
the hat with my name on it.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome and requested!

No comments:

Post a Comment