July 16, 2011

Autumn in July


July was lazing along all hot and humid, as it is wont to do in the Carolinas, until a "cold front" passed through yesterday... and we enjoyed some refreshing 60-degree weather and a light relaxing drizzle occasionally throughout the day. That in itself felt wonderful. But then we were out shopping, and saw "Christmas in July" products filling the shelves. It was like a little taste of November in the middle of summer. And now I am craving colored leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, and cider-scented candles...


Dash of nutmeg,
swirl of cinnamon,
cool drizzle on a shiny-hot day,
cider-scented thoughts
in midsummer haze-

midnight pumpkins,
parched grass crunching underfoot
like leaves in autumn,
ripe green apples
and sweet lemonade-

autumn in July,
like evergreen spice
drifting through the window,
sunshine splashing
 on the kitchen floor.

7 comments:

  1. how lovely... now I'm craving pumpkin pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this. Full of wonderful imagery, I especially loved - "sunshine splashing
    on the kitchen floor." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lovely - as I sit here freezing I am envious of your warmth and sun

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cheerful mood that put me in. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hot & humid in my neck of the woods. How I wish some of that chill would come my way. Autumn is my favorite of all the seasons. I love the crispness in the air and all those reds, golds, oranges, yellows & browns.

    Wonderful imagery!

    My entry is here:
    http://mypoetcharm.blogspot.com/2011/07/loves-great-precision.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. do join poetry potluck today.

    Happy Writing,
    Happy Summer.

    ReplyDelete