May 07, 2011

Sweet Basil

Prompt from Writer's Island: season
I had to take a different approach to this one, since I've written a lot of "spring" poems lately. Now I'm craving spaghetti.


Crushed tomatoes, pureed and heated
to saucy perfection; simmered for hours
with fresh sweet basil and garlic cloves,
oregano, pungent chili powder, crushed
black peppercorns, sea salt, virgin olive oil.

Add freshly picked white onion, diced
tomatoes from off the vine, sweet green
bell pepper, chopped mushrooms, sweet-
but-spicy ground Italian sausage. Simmer

for hours in your taste buds, drink its aroma
until it seeps from your pores, until you ache
for its ripe red elegance, for its savory sauce
swollen with flavor; then ladle over steaming
spaghetti, sprinkle with parmesan, devour it.

10 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! This sounds very appetizing. There's nothing like homemade sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy poem. Thanks for tickling my taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful recipe! So perfectly penned!!

    I love dandelions too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what I'll be eating today - thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! Wish I could dish up some spaghetti to share with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one makes me hungry indeed. Wel written

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea, spaghetti. Weather around here has been so iffy that "spring" food seems all wrong.

    You mention fresh onions for your recipe. Ever tried growing garlic? That's a rare treat to use fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true, Barbara, fresh garlic is amazing! I usually pick it up from the local farmer's market. So much better than store-bought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every cookbook should be this poetic. I could smell my mother-in-law's sauce simmering in this poem - and she makes the best.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete