May 25, 2011

Origins

Prompt from We Write Poems: everything, and how it began
In the beginning, God
          created the heavens and the earth. 
The earth was without form and void,
          and darkness was over the face of the deep...
And God said, 'Let there be light,'
          and there was light.
                      (Genesis 1:1-3)

Words simply spoken-
or POP and sizzle and bang-
both require faith.

In seven days, words
constructed
life out of nothing.

Earth and heaven,
the created-
God, in the beginning,
the Creator.

All-powerful God,
or limited mortal man-
which would you believe?

5 comments:

  1. Both? You have seen my thoughts and many thanks for visiting my site.

    (And I agree Genesis is better poetry than all of us can ever produce!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words resonate with me, Elizabeth. We all have to decide in what to have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The freedom to choose is always the cornerstone. Well thought out and written,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also discussed the choice we make to believe.

    Yours is much more thoughtful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully constructed from your own words to the quoted words. I came here to comment on your gorgeous poem Hands at Poetic Asides, which moves far too fast for me ever to comment on any one poem. Hands resonated clearly with my own life, and I thank you for putting it so well.

    ReplyDelete