May 06, 2011

Oak Tree (revised)

Prompt from Big Tent Poetry: revise a poem from a year ago
A little background: although I used to write poetry prolifically in high school and college, I suffered a hiatus of several years while I dealt with a still ongoing long-term illness. Now that the meds have been reduced drastically, my mental acuity is improving. Around July of last year, I was able to resume not only writing poetry but improving my skills. And I think I've come a long way since then. So, although it hasn't quite been a year since then, I chose a poem from last August that showed some potential, and worked towards a revision of it (view the original poem here).

Outside my window
stands an old oak tree,
faithful and dear through
stormy rains, frozen sleet,
dark nights, summer heat-

calming as a newborn
cooing at its mother,
supportive as parents
at a first soccer match,
enduring as a mother
praying for her children-

strong as a mountain,
steady as the sea,
inspiring me-
this old oak tree.

8 comments:

  1. Like you, I AM inspired by the strength and persistence I witness in Nature. You painted an impassioned vision of that mother oak. I see and appreciate her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely and loving tree poem. I didn't read the first version - this one did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem! I love the flow in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than a strong oak tree. Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I love trees. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you all for the encouraging words! Viv, I'm glad you didn't read the other one. I'm not too fond of it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. heart warming words.
    blessings..

    Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressed,
    Hope to see you join our poetry potluck today,
    1 to 3 random poems or poems unrelated to our theme are welcome in case you fall short in doing a theme fitting piece.
    Bless you.
    Keep up the excellence.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete