March 09, 2011

Birthday Bop

Prompt from Poetic Asides: write a 'turn around' poem
Poetic Form: bop

I thought I would be miserable,
a memorable day housebound and alone,
forced to glance out at gloomy gray skies-
a wet world of wearied winter-
sung to by the silence of self-pity,
dulled by yet another ordinary day.

Happy birthday to me.

But who knows what a day can bring,
how things can change from glum
to expressions of estimable elation
in just a matter of hours or days;
unexpected flowers burst into bloom,
coloring the darkest corners, while
deep in the forest the songbirds
sweetly tweet just for me:

Happy birthday to you…

And so my birthday came, and with it,
vast improvements upon my imaginations;
springtime buds opened with the rain,
calming quiet surrounded my spirit,
well-wishers whelmed me with wishes,
loved ones personalized the day…

Happy birthday to me!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you!
    I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award.
    I hope you consider accepting!

    http://beccagivens.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/versatile-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! I'm glad it all turned out all right. I think birthdays are special because everyone gets to celebrate the fact that you are here with us another year.

    I just lost a friend yesterday, which saddens me terribly, but it also makes me realize even more just how precious each day is - and how we all ought to find the good and the happy in everything.

    So make a wish - and I hope it comes true for you. ☼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks RJ! You're really sweet, and I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete