September 24, 2010

Wyoming

Prompt from Big Tent Poetry: write a travel-inspired haibun, a poetic prose section followed by a haiku

Cramped and stiff, I gently unfolded myself from the bus seat and made my way down the aisle toward the door. Whispers of fresh air slipped inside the bus, awakening and tantalizing my senses. Glimpses of bright cerulean sky and never-ending green met my eyes as I exited the vehicle. Grazing antelope and buffalo rested near a quiet river that snaked its way through grassy fields. Untamed horses sauntered through open pastures and moved as one toward the distant foothills. Tree-covered slopes and barren peaks framed it all, mountains standing as sentries guarding this treasure of unhindered freedom.

Mountains harboring
Fertile plains and waterways
Land without fences

14 comments:

  1. Makes me want to go there. Wonderful pictures in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sight you described! From your poem, I can tell how much you like Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Land without fences - a beautiful freeing image. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Unhindered freedom' sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how everything builds to the last line of the haiku and its assertions of freedom and wildness. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful I can see myself here, because you bring it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice - vivid! Land without fences . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Reminds me of my own visit to Wyoming. You caught it in a word picture...

    My haibun

    ReplyDelete
  9. There must be a lot of unfolding in Wyoming. Never been there myself, but now I have pictures in my head. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nicely done.....thanks for the words

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have traveled through Wyoming and you capture it well. Final haiku is superb,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wyoming is my "happy place." This really took me back there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/09/monday-poetry-potluck-kings-queens-and.html

    Hello, friend:

    Our Monday Poetry Potluck Is NOW open, linking is open from Sunday 8pm to Tuesday, 8pm, welcome join us by linking in 1 to 3 poems, you could use an old poem, the more you share, the happier we are…hurry up!
    Thanks in advance.
    Hope to see you soon…

    ReplyDelete